The club is very lucky to own a hut, Bryn Brethynau, located (GR SH 736573) in the heart of Snowdonia National Park, within convenient distance of premier climbing and hill walking areas such as the Llanberis Pass, Tryfan, the Ogwen Valley, Tremadog and much more. Although beautifully secluded, the cottage is only 5 minutes walk from the Tyn Y Coed Pub.
Our cottage is solely used by members and their guests and is never hired out to groups, unlike properties owned by many other clubs.
The club is constantly improving facilities at the cottage and in recent years the building has been professionally rewired, the kitchen completely refitted, a mains fire detection system and new fire doors fitted and most recently drying facilities have been added.
- Does not have to be booked
- Sleeps 23
- Wood burning stove
- Recently refurbished, fully equipped kitchen
- All mod cons including showers and drying room
- Free to use for members and only £6 per night for their guests (£5 for Mountaineering Club of South Africa members)
Heading up to the cottage?
Members can get hold of the access code to the cottage from the membership secretary after they have joined the club.
If you are staying in the cottage, you need to take a sleeping bag for the bunks, and a torch for the walk up from the car park.
Please sign in to the logbook when you arrive, and remember to pay any hut fees!
Please note: following the 7 August 2021 relaxation of Welsh government rules regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, the Committee has decided to re-open use of the Cottage to all members without an advance booking system.
However, in opening the Cottage we expect all members to abide by the following, which are in line with current BMC advice on managing Covid risk:
- Do not use the Cottage if you, or anyone in your household, either has symptoms of Covid-19 or has tested positive, or is being advised by the NHS to self-isolate.
- When arriving at the Cottage you MUST sign in (this was already a rule, but it is now especially important that we follow it). Please have contact details for any guests that you bring.
- When at the Cottage practice good hygiene, e.g. regular washing and sanitising of hands.
- Please ventilate the property by keeping windows open when possible (this is a key piece of advice the BMC are emphasising as a risk reduction factor).
- If you or one of your guests test positive for Covid-19 after using the Cottage please inform Paul via email@example.com ASAP so that he can work with track and trace to alert other Cottage users.
Ultimately, the decision to use the Cottage is a personal one, and each of us must exercise personal judgement in weighing the potential risks involved. But as climbers, hopefully we should all already be used to that kind of thing when heading to Wales!